Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Published 5:22 PM by with 4 comments

On Spoken Words

"A soothing tongue is a tree of life."
Proverbs 15:4

A newspaper obituary caught my eye with this statement:"Services for affable fix-it man are today."Instead on focusing on one of the elite and popular people of society, the article told a story of a 79-year-old appliance repair man who was known for his integrity, character, and unquenchable happiness.
The president of the company for which the man had worked said, " Half of his job was to go to people's houses and fix the appliances, and the other half was to fix the people with problems who requested him by name. He was very jovial, very friendly and always had a kind word."

No matter what our job, perhaps the most important work we do is helping and encouraging people, especially by what we say.
The book of Proverbs speaks often of the tongue's power to hurt or to heal. For example:
" A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but perversion in it crushes the spirit....A man has joy by the answer of his mouth, and how good it is to hear a timely word."(Proverbs 15:4 &23)

A careless word may kindle strife,
A cruel word may wreck a life;
A timely word may lessen stress,
A loving word may heal and bless.-
Anonymous


*Story lifted from"Our Daily Bread"

4 comments:

popcorn said...

This is a touching story. Napaisip tuloy ko and started wondering about how I will be remembered when I leave this world ?
hmm...

iceah said...

glad i made you think c: i just hope i would also exit with a good memory to share c:

Tiff said...

That was a beautiful post!! Very touching and very true!! Thank you Iceah for your wonderful comments and I am sooo sorry for forgetting the h on your name...I corrected it and added this blog url to my post..I love reading your post also and check back a few times a week to read the updates! Sure we can exchange link..let me know what that means tho...I am not down with all the blogging lingo yet..lol...I am looking forward to chatting with you more! I am also on twitter.com everyday..under hippieprincess4..if you ever get on that let me know :)

iceah said...

hey tiff it's okey my name sounds the same with or without H hehehe c: I don't chat often because my family and my little boy eats most of my time !!!c: exchange links means you put my blog name on your blog and make a link back to me and i do it vice-versa c: thanx for the time c: visit you back c: