Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Published 3:08 PM by with 12 comments

I Want to Give My Son A Good Start

I know that children who do good in school enjoy more advantages than others. My son would start school next year (he is three now) so i want to give him a good start as early as now. I have thought out some ways to help my son excel in school and I am posting it here so that mommies like me would see it and through their reactions and comments I would be able to improve on it.

I know that my boy, like other young children, is a learning machine. He learns faster than adults like us because his mind is still clean, I mean not cluttered with the kind of things that fill the mind of adults. I know I can give my son, especially because he is still below five years of age, a good start in education by using these simple techniques:

• I read to my son aloud stories from books. This helps to develop reading and imagination
skill in him. My little boy is showing great interest in books and his father likes to buy him books.

• I talk a lot to my son as if he is a grown up to help him become good at his language. Baby talking is not good.

• Music is good for the brain so I teach my son to sing simple songs. There are many researches that show that music is not only good for overall health, but it is good for brainpower too.

• I help my son explore things, like—toys, various objects at home, plants, flowers. I see, touch, turn around the objects in my hands along with my little boy.

I also ask questions and discuss the objects playfully so that he learns as he plays with me.

• I also try to answer my son's questions straight. If I don’t know the answer, then I try to
find it out together with him.

I think the above steps are useful in developing intelligence and learning skill in children. But mommies out there may have more to add to it, I hope to hear from some mommies out there more tips in giving our children a good start.

12 comments:

Gem said...

Stimulating his imagination is great, really! Books, music - sanayin mo diyan ang kid mo to appreciate learning things.

I'm against sa "too early schooling" to an extent. Tinatamad na rin kasi mag-aral pagdating na ng 6 or 7. A common observation, from many (not all) parents.

So I find it a waste of money, kasi good performers din ang mga late o tamang age ng schooling. :) To add to that, there is what we call stress and pressure for the child.

On talking as grown up.. well don't overdo it my dear. Pero you're right about not doing baby talks.

Also try to find time to visit places. Maganda yan. Wag lang family outings sa places ninyo. Travel! Be picky with places. Not malls. Sa zoos, museums and wildparks are better. :)

Kwagoo said...

i'm glad to hear that you let your son explore and experience the world. some parents are afraid to let their children play and explore.

its much more educational for a child to learn by stimulation and 1st hand observation rather than just by reading about it in books, though exposure to books is good too.

yeah i agree with gem, i used to love field trips when i was a kid!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Ouch hahaha natamaan ako ni Ms. kwagoo lol.. sometimes over protective ako especially pag nakikita kong masasaktan anak ko..

I always include my kidsesp my daughter to what I am doing like doing the houshold chores. She really freaks out when i do it without her..

BTW, I have an award for you Mommy Icy for being such a good Mom! Pls grab it when you have time!

iceah said...

@gem
tama ka na right age and not early papasukin sa school c: last summer may nagsabi sakin na ipapasok kna c Josh di rin ako pumayag kasi may son is madaling magsawa kya nagrefuse ako next year i know he is ready c: sya na rin nagsabi sa akin ayaw ko kasi rin sya pilitin c:

on zoo and wildpark no i don't like the idea of caging animals but i get your point he can see it naman sa books, tv and all kaso mali para sa amin ang pagcage sa animals it's a form of abuse to them they are not in their own homes c: later on i will post something on that.museums is okay I know c:

thanx for sharing dear c:

iceah said...

@kwagoo
ako din i love fieldtrips kahit medyo nakakatakot for mga magulan but i do want him to have that c:

learning by stimulation nga is good because they could see it there na in front of them he discovers with me c: plus the fact that they would know if makakasugat nga yun o masakit or what para hindi na nya ulitin din but of course nandoon ako to watch him not to leave him alone c:

thanx for the time and for sharing c:

iceah said...

@ mommy rose
thanx for the award c: di kopa nakita puntahan ko lang busy lately and am away for sometime cguro sa comp kasi I don't feel well c:

i'll add to your comment later c:

Gem said...

Ngayon lang kasi nauso mga bata na pinapapasok ng maaga. Maybe because it has something to do with both parents entering the workforce?

I'm sure there are other alternatives aside from caged animals. Travel can do wonders. Madalas kami biyahe ni Jhanna. She gets too excited.

On the caging of animals - is that something to do with your personal beliefs, or religion? I don't like caged animals too. Same with my Jhanna.

iceah said...

@Gem
Tama nga siguro my sis made her children go to school early kasi kailangan nla pareho ng husband nya magtrabaho and they have 3 kids halos malapit mga edad and they both haven't finished their studies kya hirap itaguyod. Pero matututukan nya yung kid nya na nagaaral kasi they are inthe same school c:

On caging animals hindi naman dahil sa religion kundi I can see that animals that are caged and not in their own homes die early kasi nga hindi sila masaya. I'm not against that kind of learning for kids but people tend to profit from this, di ba abuso yun? have you watched "madagascar"? medyo dun ako naliwanagan tapos nung naging parent ako nakita ko din na paano kung mahiwalay nga ako sa family ko(on the part of the animal ha) syempre di ako masaya and to think na that place is not my habitat c:

Tiff said...

You are such a good mommy!! :)

iceah said...

@tiff
aw! nobody is perfect of course i still have flaws you know c:

inyang said...

don't just read for him or read with him ... be a role model to him, too ... if he grows up surrounded with books and people who regularly reads books, he'd definitely be a reader, as well :)

Gem said...

I haven't watched "madagascar" but I watched movies with more or less the same lesson that animals are better of with their natural habitat.

Once may nakitang insect si Jhanna. Other kids would prefer to have that caged. When I asked her what she wants to do with it, she simply said that she have to set it free.

Very sweet!

Times had changed. I think early na ang pagpasok ng bata kasi mas marami na nga ang mga families na both parents nag-wo-work.